At Spectrum Family Law we recognise that any relationship breakdown can be draining both financially and emotionally. Our specialist family lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process and offer a range of other professional services to support you at this difficult time.
By gaining a clear understanding of your individual aims we are able to focus on providing an efficient, friendly and cost effective service to meet your needs. Whilst we encourage matters to be dealt with in a conciliatory framework we are fully prepared and equipped to take firm action where needed to further our client's best interest.
Facts about Divorce
If you have been married for one year and your relationship has broken down you can file for a divorce.
There is actually only one "ground" for divorce: that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.
However, in an undefended divorce this will have to be proven to the court by giving evidence in writing and the person issuing the proceedings (the petitioner) will need to establish one or more of the following five facts:
- the adultery of the other spouse (which can include a sexual relationship post-separation)
- the unreasonable behaviour of the other spouse (the behaviour does not have to be too serious; what is important is the effect it has on the petitioner)
- two years' desertion (very rarely used)
- that the couple has lived apart for two years and the other spouse consents to divorce
- that the couple has lived apart for five years (no consent needed)
Get in touch
Call or email us today to book an appointment
Dee, I just wanted to write a letter of appreciation. You have really helped me and impressed me with your...